Coronavirus has finally reached India with its first confirmed case in Kerala. The patient is a student from Wuhan University and is currently in an isolated ward and stable condition.
Coronavirus is a family of viruses that can cause a range of illnesses ranging from the common cold to even more concerning forms like SARS and MERS which can be life-threatening.
Symptoms can include:-
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulties in breathing
The outbreak is believed to have started in an illegal wildlife market in the central Wuhan city in China. The outbreak is still being investigated by Chinese officials as well as WHO.
There have been more than 300 deaths and more than 14,000 infected people in Hong Kong, Along with India Coronavirus has spread to 24 more countries including the USA, Australia, and the Philippines with one death caused by the same.
Due to the lunar holidays, there had been a lot of festive travel in China but since the outbreak of Coronavirus measures to contain the virus have been made. China has put the city of Wuhan under lockdown with all outgoing flights suspended as well as shut down transport network.
Since Antibiotics do not work on Viruses some ways you can protect yourself from the Coronavirus outbreak
- Frequently clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- When coughing and sneezing cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue – throw the tissue away immediately and wash hands
- Avoid close contact with anyone who has a fever and cough.
- If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing seek medical care early and share previous travel history with your health care provider.
- When visiting live markets in areas currently experiencing cases of a novel coronavirus, avoid direct unprotected contact with live animals and surfaces in contact with animals.
- The consumption of raw or undercooked animal products should be avoided. Raw meat, milk or animal organs should be handled with care, to avoid cross-contamination with uncooked foods, as per good food safety practices.